Dermal Fillers & Botox – Create a beautiful, young-looking frame around your smile!
Dermal fillers are an increasingly popular means to help reverse the changes associated with aging. Because the goal is to return the dermis to its original youthful state, dermal fillers can give a more natural appearance than surgical face lifts. Dermal fillers can be used to reduce or eliminate wrinkles, raise scar depressions, enhance lips, and replace soft-tissue volume loss.
As our skin ages, the dermis gradually loses its major constituents: collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid. Collagen acts as the major support protein for our skin, elastin allows our skin to stay firm and resist wrinkles, and hyaluronic acid helps to trap water and add volume and shape to our skin.
Dermal fillers are substances that are injected just below the surface of the skin to fill in lines, wrinkles, and scars. Unlike face lifts that stretch the skin, fillers add volume for a more natural, youthful appearance. Fillers can also increase the fullness of the lips and lessen the downward slant of the corner of lips. The most common areas treated are the smile lines around the nose and mouth, fine lines above the mouth, frown lines between the eyes, and acne scars.
Why see a dentist about dermal fillers?
- Your dentist has undergone extensive clinical training in the administration of injectable facial rejuvenation treatments and can discuss ALL of your facial/aesthetic concerns, including your smile and teeth.
Are dermal fillers safe?
- Dermal fillers approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are minimally invasive and generally very safe. Side effects are uncommon, but it is important to contact your doctor to discuss any allergies or interactions.
How long do dermal fillers last?
- The effect of dermal fillers typically last anywhere from six to 12 months at which point the procedure needs to be repeated. The procedures take anywhere from five to 15 minutes.
Botox is used to complement esthetic dentistry cases, as a minimally invasive alternative to surgically treating high lip line cases (gummy smile), relaxing the overactive muscles which cause wrinkles around the mouth, and helping to treat bruxism, or teeth clenching and grinding.
Why see a dentist for Botox?
- Dr. Perry has taken advanced training in clinical use of Botox to treat her patients. Dentists are uniquely qualified to treat facial esthetics because we are very comfortable with injections, and we stare at smiles all day!
Is Botox Safe?
- Any drug comes with inherent risks but Botox has been extensively studied and approved by the FDA. The effect stays local to the injection site. Even if some molecules made it into the bloodstream, the cosmetic doses (typically less than 100 units) are significantly lower than the toxic dose that would be harmful systemically (2,500-3,000 units).
How long does Botox last?
- The effect of Botox typically lasts 3 to 4 months at which point the procedure needs to be repeated. The procedure takes anywhere from five to 15 minutes.
Contact our office to learn about improving the look of your smile with dermal fillers & Botox